Thursday, July 7, 2011


Hi everyone. I am a transfer Pre-Pharmacy major and this will be my first online class. This is relatively new to me. When I was growing up, I disliked my dad keeping the T.V tuned to the news channel instead of something fun for us kids to watch. Well, I can’t seem to get enough of news coverage now. But unlike in my father’s days, I don’t depend on the T.V as my news source. I thoroughly enjoy reading news; I would go from Washington Post to New York Times, from Politico to the Economist, and from mainstream media (MSM) to the world of web bloggers.

Political news is my main staple, but that gets complicated pretty quickly. It’s a shame the MSM has lost almost all objectivity when reporting politics especially. It’s either you’re a left-leaning media (these are by far the most common of the print and television stations) or you’re right leaning coverage (dominantly the radio stations and, of course, fox news). It’s amusing when the reporters and presenters take it upon themselves to tell their viewers what to think. I used to get mad anytime I sense they’ve crossed the line of objectivity, but it has happened so often that it’s become a joke to me.

Sadly however, a significant proportion of the populace takes their news without a grain of salt. I have had the misfortune of listening to some folks argue like they’re reading out of a political talking points. It ceases to be amusing when we can’t have an adult conversation about the policies and decisions that are shaping our lives as a country. The essence of any democracy is a robust debate about ideals, philosophies and policy. It’s a monumental disservice therefore that the media, which should be the vanguard of these sacred rights, are the very ones desecrating its altar.

Urrmm… what were we supposed to write about? I hope I haven’t bored y’all. On a lighter note I love pro-football, I tolerate basketball and I think soccer deserves a lager following than it currently has.

1 Comments:

At July 8, 2011 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Mr. B said...

Wonderful Bamidele.

You might like this documentary called Manufacturing Consent with Noam Chomsky. http://www.hulu.com/watch/118171/manufacturing-consent. It's all about how people don't take their news with a grain of salt. Thanks for getting your post done with everything going on.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home